Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My reality

The more I learn about the disease I now know I have, the more I realize that hubby might too be "married to diabetes" someday...Hashimoto's disease is an autoimmune disease that destroys the thyroid...already having had a partial thyroidectomy I know my days of having any part of my thyroid still functioning are limited (on meds for life) but I found out that it could attack my pancreas too and leave me type I diabetic so I am looking to the future and have already altered my eating so much (just because of the Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism) that I am ready if that happens...I only ingest buckwheat products (am grainfree) that I make and have not had candy since last September before my surgery...I am so disciplined I believe if this does happen I should be on top of it...I believe a person can be...so ladies...go ahead and applaud me...I feel good about myself. We can be our own advocates for health...not just for our men with diabetes...for ourselves. Can I hear an "AMEN?" HUGS

4 comments:

  1. Lynn
    I am very proud of you and I know nothing about Hashimoto's disease
    however, my sister had her entire thyroid removed
    she takes meds and is fine -- she does really well!
    none of her docs have ever mentioned the possibility of diabetes being a result

    some of us are on meds (for life) for other reasons -- its not the end of the world!

    for some reason - people of our generation have a sense that being on meds is a bad thing - but I learned long ago that its not the end of the world

    would we want our DH's to go off meds? really?

    on another side...
    it seems like you are going through a moment,

    for a long period - he was in a good zone,
    now he is in a less good zone

    it happens with all of us

    its never easy

    but stay focused
    stay in your good place
    you will be ok
    you are good

    keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had 1/4 of my thyroid removed because i have this autoimmune disease that destroys the thyroid, so therefore it makes me hypothryoid and that is why i am on the med. I almost wish I had it all removed but then i learned that it can attack the pancreas etc etc...yes, I am on a lower time since hubby is so limited at the moment...we were riding perhaps an unrealistic crest when he was a bit better and going to the gym and feeling pain free for the most part...I don't like his pain pill induced altered personality...but this will pass I hope...and yes...lows and highs and reflective moments...I tend to stay positive but sometimes I dip down...part of having this autoimmune disease which is sometimes confused with bipolar. HUGS and LOVE...thanks for having my back, Tom's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn,
    AMEN! You are already ahead of the game. You are already planning and that is half the battle. My thougths and prayer are with you, as you deal with you "newly found" dieease. I know you have the strength to deal with it. As for you hubby being "married to diabetes", well let's just call that payback!!

    Hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CW...thanks for the laugh out loud...payback...GOOD ONE! HUGS

    ReplyDelete