Thursday, March 24, 2011

Good day

I went in with Tom to his endocrinology appt. He decided to bring up that he chews tobacco to see if that has an effect on the sugars (he was not willing to bring it up before this). Well, they didn't think so, but also said it is not a healthy habit. I was disappointed that it didn't effect the sugars because I thought that he might think about quitting if it did, but he has quit in the past (one time for two years) so he might again (I hope). He did have a productive appt. though and already his sugar readings are lower so we are pleased (were usually 250-350+ range now 160ish-still high but better). And after 25 years of hearing "You are diabetic" we got a simplistic expanation about how each pill he takes works and other diabetic issues we didn't know about or didn't understand so it was encouraging. His blood pressure and cholesterol were good and they have mostly been high, so they (and we) were pleased with that too...what they did was up his long lasting night insulin and talked to him again about healthy evening snacking. We left the office very encouraged...his back/leg/hip situation...well, that is getting worked on a couple times a week with a chiropractor but it is still the same (can't stand or walk without extreme pain)...he tries to not take the pain pills, but usually has to at some point in the day...so baby steps but steps nonetheless. I am helping him take a shower since it is so hard for him to stand there and try on his own. The handhelp sprayers help. We joke and that helps too...but his pride suffers having to have help with so many things...he is not supposed to lift so when I saw him lift the big box of birdseed I cringed but I also realized that he might have just forgotten, he was so used to doing things and now being so limited...well, I bit my tongue that time from nagging/chastising him...but I am doing the driving and he seems okay with being a passenger lately. One day at a time, Ladies...HUGS and LOVE

3 comments:

  1. Very encouraging news Lynn!

    Taking showers together? Hummm...sounds like you two are going back to your honeymoon days. Do you have a shower stool/chair? I don't know if it would help or not. My mom has one for her husband. It takes the stress off of her that he might fall and allows him to shower on his own. She may still help him get in and out but I don't ask her about that.

    All in all Lynn, sounds like you had a great day!

    Enjoy, S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    I was thinking the same thing that S/newtothis just said. We have a shower chair for my husband. He doesn't use it all the time, but it really helps on his "bad days" with his legs and back. The VA would probably even supply one for him if you asked. Probably should get one with a back on it, as it is harder to fall out of it. Nice for both of you that he had a good appointment today.

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies, your comments warm my heart...off to the VA for the chiropractic appt. HUGS and LOVE

    ReplyDelete